forums1

 Floatation Therapy Forum. Have a DIY Tank Question? Want Help with Your Float Center? Ask Here.

  1. Juan Casias
  2. Maintenance
  3. Wednesday, April 27 2016, 11:20 PM
  4.  Subscribe via email

I am wondering if any of you have come across any mold in your filtration? In a cartridge itself. I know that it can grow on cellulose-based body oils, hair, etc. I had a sudden H2O2 drop and opened up my filter to find some blackness on the filter cartridge. Not a lot, but enough to make me think it's mold and not just dirt/body oil. Anyone come across this?


Thank you!


Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Juan Casias Accepted Answer
0
Votes
Undo

Just to follow-up on my own thread...we now keep our h2o2 much higher (60+) and have added the 1x/week 1 Cup of vinegar routine. I believe it has since resolved the potential for the biofilm to occur again. Thanks!

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Maintenance
  3. # 1
Juan Casias Accepted Answer
0
Votes
Undo

Thanks, Kane! I appreciate the help! Swapped the filter, dosed the vinegar and shocked with h2o2 and we're cruising at about 70ppm. Gonna check the filter in a few days like you said and flip out this filter thereafter. Lesson learned. Thanks again!

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Maintenance
  3. # 2
Kane Mantyla Accepted Answer
0
Votes
Undo

It is more likely that it was a bacterial colony than mold. One of the reasons health departments rely on chlorine is that it has a risidual so it lessens the chance of a period without sanitizer. Here is the problem. live bacteria forms a protective coating callled biofilm within 15 minutes of reproducing in an environment without risidual sanitizer. If this was for any extended duration in an area with food (filter) a colony can form rather quickly. Neither O3, H2O2, nor chlorine and its derivitives can eat through this film. UV light can kill through it but it requires that the bacteria pass over it. If the colony is located in your filter, this will not happen. It turns black after you add the shock or bring up the H2O2 levels from oxidation. Appropriate levels of H2O2 (>100ppm), or any other sanitizer for that matter, will prevent the colony from expanding, but may not kill it. As a part of our sanitation protocol at Float Matrix, we add 1 cup of vinegar to our tanks once per week during a filter cycle to eat up any biofilm that may have formed. We have excellent water quality

Comment
hmm so at this point, I think I had better replace the filter and then bomb the water with a cup of vinegar?
  1. Juan Casias
  2. more than a month ago
In your case, since you are recovering from what seems to be a colony buildup, I would change the filter, add *2 cups* of vinegar and shock a few hours later. It is probable that the colony has established in the plumbing too. You will want enough vinegar to eat through all of it. It will most likely mean your tank will be down for a day while you air it out (it will have a slight vinegar smell). Be prepared to throw out the new filter in a couple days because any biofilm will be caught in filter and oxidize.
  1. Kane Mantyla
  2. more than a month ago
You're right. I ended up changing out the new filter because, like you said, it had some of the biofilm caught in it. I am now adding the vinegar as you suggested and that seems to be a good preventing. Our h2o2 is much higher now. I guess you live and learn! Thanks again...
  1. Juan Casias
  2. more than a month ago
You're right. I ended up changing out the new filter because, like you said, it had some of the biofilm caught in it. I am now adding the vinegar as you suggested and that seems to be a good preventing. Our h2o2 is much higher now. I guess you live and learn! Thanks again...
  1. Juan Casias
  2. more than a month ago
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Maintenance
  3. # 3
  • Page :
  • 1


There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.